- Elephants have 24 "other" teeth
- Elephants sweat only at their toenails.
- An Asian elephant has five toes on the front feet and four on the back.
- An elephant smells by placing the tip of its trunk inside its mouth after touching an object.
- Elephants have a special pouch in their throat from which they can suck out water with their trunk to use as a cooling spray.
- Elephants live to about 55 to 60 years old, though the oldest known is 82 years.
- Elephants can run up to 20km an hour
- Elephants sleep 3-5 hours a night
- Elephant society is matriarchal, with a senior female as head of the group
- Females can give birth to as many as 11-12 calves during their lifetime
- A newborn baby elephant weighs 80-100kg and will stand up and be able to walk within two hours
- Elephants favour either a right side or left (similar to humans -"left handed or right handed"). Because the one tusk is used more than the other it is more worn. This way you can tell if it is "left or right handed"
Elephants communicate using Seismic communication (a series of low "vibrations") that can be herd up to 7km away.
Humans cannot hear these sounds.
Elephants generally produce one calf every three to four years after a gestation period of about 22 months
There are 3 species of elephant Asian elephant, African bush elephant and the African Forest Elephants
Elephants are one of only 2 animals that can recognise their own reflection (the other is dolphins)
- Only the male Asian elephant has tusks -the female does not. Both male and female African elephants have tusks